Letter from Jennifer Holt, Greater Chicago Chapter President
I was recently reminded that none of us knows what the future has in store for us. The only thing we know for sure is that change is inevitable. Change is a fact of life and in order to be adequately equipped for change it is essential we develop the necessary skills to deal with such change. We should all be inspired by the 17 WICT Greater Chicago members who have taken ownership of their personal and professional development and were selected to participate in the 2012-2013 Rising Star Mentoring Program. These talented individuals were selected because they are some of the best and brightest in the Greater Chicago area and they are on a path to becoming tomorrow's decision makers. For the next nine months they will continue on a journey that pushes them to seek out authentic leadership, foster career development, and build strong alliances.
Please take a few minutes to learn about the people WICT Greater Chicago selected as the 2012-2013 Rising Stars.
Click here to learn more about our 2012-2013 Rising Stars
Since space in the WICT Greater Chicago Mentoring Program was limited, how can managers support their staff and build a framework for personal and professional development? We know commitment to better oneself can't be taught, but it certainly can be inspired and supported. Here are some ideas to help you motivate your team to continue developing their skills:
- Encourage employees to take ownership of their jobs and to strive for personal excellence.
- Be knowledgeable, and share resources and referrals on opportunities to learn.
- Make sure job responsibilities are updated, realistic, clear and useful.
- Discuss skills that are essential to be successful in the job and provide honest feedback on current skills.
- Provide opportunities for increased responsibility and career advancement through delegation of new and challenging assignments.
- Give honest recognition for work achievements.
- Model the need for continuous learning and share the knowledge/experience.
- Provide motivation for employees to create their personal development plans.
I hope you have been inspired to spend some time thinking about what you will do next to improve professionally and personally.
I am WICT!
"Never put off for tomorrow, what you can do today." ~Thomas Jefferson
"The future is always beginning now." ~Mark Strand
"Life's a journey, not a destination." ~Aerosmith
Know Yourself…Communicate…Listen…Connect…Be a Catalyst…Be Fearless…Inspire